Search Archive

2 Oct 2008

Catalogue of Delhi Public Library goes online with KOHA

Delhi Public Library is one of best public libraries of India. It is an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Tourism and Culture and governed by Delhi Library Board. It is fully financed by the Government of India. Actually it consists of a network of Zonal Libraries, Branches and Sub-branches, R.C.Libraries, Community Libraries, Deposit Stations, Sports Libraries, Mobile Library, Braille library, etc. spread all over Delhi. Its total collection is over 14 lakh books in Hindi, English, Urdu, Punjabi & other Indian Languages.

Today, it added a new milestone in its journey. It made its Catalogue online. For this it has used an Open Source Software - Koha. Which is a full-featured Integrated Library System.

I have just done a quick search on Library's Online Catalogue.


Well done. Keep it up.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just I browsed your Delhi Public Library Web Site.
I think using Open source software(KOHA) for public library is great
example you have given to other states.
Public Library spends Lackhs rupees for Library software and again they
have to spent lot of money for its computerization work.
As I have involved in public library movement in MAHARASHTRA FOR ALMOST 32
YEARS AND RUNNING PUBLIC lIBRARY AT IIT BOMBAY,I FOUND YOU ARE THE
MILESTONE IN THIS FIELD.
Once again I congratulate you for this important work and people/book
lovers all over world remember your work..
With regards.
I was 2 years at Kolhapur and in June joine dback to IITB.
Pl reply.
WISH YOU ALL HAPPY DASHAHARA



Dr.Hindurao S.Waydande
Professor and Head
Dept.of Library and Information Science,
&
I/C University Librarian
Shivaji University,Kolhapur 416 004 INDIA
Chairman:Board of Studies(LIS)
Ph No:0231 2609390(O)Cell:9421175733
Lbrarian 0231 2609204

Sukhdev Singh said...

Dear Dr.Hindurao S.Waydande,
Thanks for the comment on my Blog. The credit goes to Delhi Public Library. I have nothing to do with its Koha implementation. Like you, I also appreciate their work.

Congrats DPL!